Thursday, September 11, 2008

Thomas Kinkade Cobblestone Bridge

Thomas Kinkade Cobblestone BridgeThomas Kinkade Clearing StormsChicago Water Tower
struck my heart, and I gave myself up utterly to that which bound, possessed, and bore me. I let go, I let all go; relief went through me like a purge. And as if in signal of my freedom, over the reaches of the campus the bells of Tower Clock suddenly rang out, somehow unjammed: their first full striking since the day I'd passed through Scrapegoat Grate. As all listened astonished, the strokes mounted --one, two, three, four - - each bringing from my pressed eyes the only tears they'd spilled since a fateful late-June morn many terms past, out in the barns.Sol, la, ti, each a tone higher than its predecessor, unbinding, releasing me -- thendo : my eyes were opened; I was delivered.
Dr. Eierkopf too the bells revived; at first sound of them he had sat up and clutched his head. On the sixth stroke he'd snatched off his new eyeglasses just in time, for the seventh shattered them, as earlier in the Belfry. On that eighth and last, blood spurted from his nose, his eyes rolled up out of sight, he shrieked,"Ach, mein Grunder, ist geborsten der Schädelknocken!" and collapsed again. Croaker bounded to his side, and I sprang down. The handcuffs fell at my feet.

No comments: