Thursday, September 4, 2008

Children on the Beach

Children on the BeachWhat a Wonderful LifeJust for Love
Hooray! Eradicationness! Goodbye me!"
Max made feeble haste to stay him as soon as we realized what he was doing, but Leonid worked his skill upon the doorlock and deftly slipped out into the aisle, where once again he tipped the bottle to his lips. His face purpled.
"No more me!" he croaked. "Tell Mrs. Anastasia I love!" Max and other prisoners shouted for a guard; as was sometimes the case, none was about. Leonid fell; yet even curling on the floor he made to drink again that deadly draught, to insure his end.
"Verboten!"Max pleaded, hopping like a caged dwarf. "Stop him once, George, he shouldn't swallow!"
Leonid, supine, had decided to wave one arm and sing as he expired."Releasedom! Freehood! Death to Selfity!" He put the bottle to his mouth.
Distressed as I was to see him perish, I would I fear have only watched, and that not merely because I was locked in. But something in his words, more than the emergency itself, got through the torpor I had dwelt in since my noosing. My head cleared miraculously; I saw not just Leonid's plight but hiserror -- and more! In no time at all I was beside

No comments: