Monday, June 16, 2008

William Merritt Chase paintings

William Merritt Chase paintings
William Blake paintings
It was late in the afternoon before I woke, strengthened and refreshed. Sherlock Holmes still sat exactly as I had left him save that he had laid aside his violin and was deep in a book. He looked across at me as I stirred, and I noticed that his face was dark and troubled.
"You have slept soundly," he said. "I feared that our talk would wake you."
"I heard nothing," I answered. "Have you had fresh news, then?"
"Unfortunately, no. I confess that I am surprised and disappointed. I expected something definite by this time. Wiggins has just been up to report. He says that no trace can be found of the launch. It is a provoking check, for every hour is of importance." Can I do anything? I am perfectly fresh now, and quite ready for another night's outing."
"No; we can do nothing. We can only wait. If we go ourselves the message might
-129-come in our absence and delay be caused. You can do what you will. but I must remain on guard."

No comments: