Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Eduard Manet paintings

Eduard Manet paintings
Edwin Austin Abbey paintings
Edward Hopper paintings
The king warmed his heart with a second glass of wine, and said: "I would know thee-tell me thy story. Thou hast a gallant way with thee, and a noble-art nobly born?"
"We are of the tail of the nobility, good your majesty. My father is a baronet-one of the smaller lords, by knight service8-Sir Richard Hendon, of Hendon Hall, by Monk's Holm in Kent."
"The name has escaped my memory. Go on-tell me thy story."
"'Tis not much, your majesty, yet perchance it may beguile a short half-hour for want of a better. My father, Sir Richard, is very rich, and of a most generous nature. My mother died whilst I was yet a boy. I have two brothers: Arthur, my elder, with a soul like to his father's; and Hugh, younger than I, a mean spirit, covetous, treacherous, vicious, underhanded-a reptile. Such was he from the cradle; such was he ten years past, when I last saw him-a ripe rascal at nineteen, I being twenty then, and Arthur twenty-two. There is none other of us but the Lady Edith, my cousin-she was sixteen, then-beautiful, gentle, good, the daughter of an earl, the last of her race, heiress of a great fortune and a lapsed title. My father was her

No comments: